Important Preparation Steps
Step 1: Create and update your Household Disaster & Emergency Plan, and yarn it up with others!
Information you will need for your household plan:
- Names and mobile numbers of all household members
- Where could you all meet up if separated?
- Who will pick your jarjums up from school or daycare? Include the persons full name, numbers and their email.
- Think about where you will keep your Disaster and Emergency kit?
- Include the names and numbers of your home and car insurance.
- Think about family and friends and other community members who would like contact and check in with during times of disaster or emergency.
Think about including Jarjums, people living with different-abilities, and family Elders in the creation of your Household Disaster & Emergency planning where possible.
Jarjum’s could be asked about where family pets will stay and be safe, and also what personal items they wish to take with them if they need to leave.
A basket, bag, pillowcase, or other container can be used for this purpose.
It’s important to run through and yarn about “what to do” in a Disaster & Emergency with all members of your household.
Once you have gathered the information you need, create your Household Disaster & Emergency plan online. Follow the link below.
Step 2: Start gathering and build your Disaster & Emergency Kit.
Start gathering the items below and store them in a safe place. You may already have some of these items.
- Make a list of what you already have, and what you still need.
- Make a plan to get the things you need for both your Disaster & Emergency kit, and the other items you may need when leaving your home. Think about any special needs other household members may have.
- Let all members of your household know where their household kit is kept.
The two lists below include the things you and others may need. Include Jarjums in this activity so they have a better understanding of their Household Disaster & Emergency kit, and how they can help. Teaching Jarjums basic first aid, and how to protect and look after items in their Household kit is a helpful skill to have when needed. It also gives Jarjums a valued role.
What to include in your Disaster & Emergency Kit
- Portable radio with spare batteries (Hand crank charging radios are available online)
- Torch with spare batteries
- First aid kit (with supplies necessary for your household)
- Candles and waterproof matches
- Important papers including emergency contact numbers
- Copy of any Home Disaster & Emergency Plans
- Waterproof bag for valuables
What to do in Disasters and Emergencies
When leaving or evacuating your property, place in your emergency kit:
- A good supply of required medications for each person
- Any special requirements and supplies that may be needed for babies, older adults, or persons with a disability or illness
- Appropriate clothing and footwear
- Fresh food and drinking water
Step 3: Download and use the EmergencyPlus App on your phone.
Follow the instructions below.
On the App you will find links to emergency services and important information.
The App includes “More information” accessed from the top left option box on the front screen.
How to perform emergency CPR: This link will take you to the Royal Life Saving Society website for further information.
What3words is a safety feature in your App which pinpoints your location in times of emergency, you will find your what3words code on the EmergencyPlus, My Location screen.
Simply repeat your what3words to the Triple Zero 000 Emergency Operator to communicate your location. This is easy, for example, if your what3words are;
Tell your 000 Operator, the what3words are that appear on your screen.
This one-time code will tell the Operator your present location.
You can increase the size of your location and your what3words in the Settings tab found in the top lefthand option box on the EmergencyPlus Home screen.
Step 4: Go to the NSW SES and NSW Rural Fire Service websites for important information.
NSW SES website for important information in the event of floods, storms, earthquakes and tsunami’s.
NSW Rural Fire Service website for important information in the event of Bushfire.
On the NSW SES Home Page you will see a Community Advice tab found between the Flood Awareness NSW and For Schools options. Simply click on Community Advice, and once on that page enter your postcode, town or suburb. This will then take you to important local guides developed for your area, including “what to do” and “where to go”. You will find Local Risk Information, Local Emergency Contacts, and Local Plans and Guides as options on that page. Press the Local Plans and Guides option and download your local Flood, Storm and Tsunami Guide and include a copy in your Household Disaster & Emergency Kit. Flood, Storm and Tsunami Plans can also be found on that page and your local Tsunami Evacuation Map.
Step 5: Look for your local councils Disaster & Emergency dashboard, and bookmark it to your phone.
Check your Local Government Area (LGA) Disaster & Emergency dashboard for information on local disaster impacts, evacuation centres, and other services, and resources.
Richmond Valley Shire
Tenterfield Shire (to Urbenville)
*Check the NSW Emergency Website:
Add a bookmark
1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app Chrome.
2. Go to a site you want to visit again in the future.
3. To the right of the address bar, tap More More and then Star Star.
Open a bookmark
1.On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app Chrome.
2.At the top right, tap More More and then Bookmarks.
3.If your address bar is at the bottom, swipe up on the address bar. Tap Star Star.
4. Find and tap a bookmark.
Add a Bookmark
1. Start the Safari app and open a web page that you want to bookmark.
2. Tap the Share button (the square with an arrow).
3. Tap “Add Bookmark.”
Open a Bookmark
1. Open Safari.
2.Tap the Bookmarks icon (lower-right).
3. From the Bookmarks tab (upper-left), tap a bookmark.
4. If necessary, tap the Bookmark folder (e.g., Favorites).